I'm interested in a career in marketing and would like to focus on one area first, so I'm going through a good book on Facebook Advertising. In order to practice I need money to buy ads and a product to promote, and keep doing it so I can hone my skills. How do I find a client who will let me do their Facebook marketing when I'm a beginner and learning on their dime? And what is a professional way to say "I'm just starting out" to set realistic expectations? Or how can I find an experienced Marketing Consultant(s) who will teach me how to do it so I can learn on real world clients under their supervision? I would do their work for free as an intern so I can learn. I'm only interested in focusing on Facebook ads for now. I don't want to get involved in Adwords, Twitter ads, Pinterest ads yet etc, I want to focus on FB until I can master it. Thanks for any response.
You have a few options here.
1. Find marketing consultants or local marketing agencies that are looking for interns through local job boards and through LinkedIn.
2. If you already have LinkedIn, pull off a list of email addresses for your contacts and then write them all an email explaining pretty much exactly what you have explained above. Ask them if they need help or if they know anybody that needs help and let them know you will do some work for free to gain experience.
3. Sign up as a freelancer on all the freelance sites. Though you might be worried you don't have enough experience, you still have more knowledge than the average person on the street because you're investing your time in learning.
You can charge a lower rate than other freelancers in attempts to win business and to reflect your own experience.
4. Do you have a website yet? If so start writing posts about Facebook Advertising. Write about the things you are learning, your tips, the obstacles you are facing.
Now, you have posts to promote. Eventually, perhaps, you have a blog you can monetize.
Also, when you sign up for hosting for your website, some hosting companies will give you coupons to spend on services like Facebook Advertising or Google. So, if you have a website, go check your cpanel as there may be some Facebook Advertising coupons in there for you to get started.
5. If you have any related experience, start by winning business in this area first and then gradually sell in Facebook Advertising as an additional service. For example, if you are already comfortable with organic Facebook Marketing, look to win business in this area first and then weave in your Facebook Advertising service at a later date.